A collection of How-To Videos for Sponge Development

Thank you for all your help. The project is now on the correct language level. Although I’m still running into some errors Keeping the server from starting. Examples:

…Sponge\SpongeCommon\SpongeAPI\src\main\java\org\spongepowered\api\util\annotation\CatalogedBy.java
Error:(33, 24) java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class Nonnull
Error:(41, 2) java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class Nonnull
…\GitHub\Sponge\SpongeCommon\SpongeAPI\src\main\java\org\spongepowered\api\data\DataManipulator.java
Error:(27, 30) java: package com.google.common.base does not exist
Error:(61, 5) java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class Optional
location: interface org.spongepowered.api.data.DataManipulator

I’m guessing a misconfigured setting or missing dependency? I follow the instructions step-by-step it seems so straightforward.

I had the same problem and I had to refresh the gradle projects. That’s the menu that is docked.

Thank you for the videos, looking forward for more. :wink:

Unfortunately if you’re talking about the blue refresh button under Gradle projects it doesn’t help. Any other ideas?

Unfortunately, I think what happened is that since the language level was so low before, you’ll need to run gradle clean

And then gradle setupDecompWorkspace

Then you should be able to refresh with the blue button or manually by doing the following:

Afterwards, go ahead and try rerunning the server again.

Still the same crash. I tried it like 5 times by now. For some reason, the server is loaded before the mixin. Is there any other methods to use hot-swap?

[Crash Report][1]
[1]: http://pastebin.com/wi2pSNxL

And you’re sure you have the correct VM options and using GradleStartServer? Can you screenshot your run settings?

EDIT: Currently, there aren’t any other options for hot swapping.

EDIT 2: Last but not least, try Invalidate Caches https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/help/cleaning-system-cache.html

Here is my whole setup. I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

Click me

I wouldn’t mind seeing a video of how to set up your first plug-in for those that are extremely new like myself. Just a thought.

1 Like

I’m with @Zone on this one, I’d love to see how you set up that plugin for Sponge as well as how you set up your files, added the sponge dependencies into a new project maybe? Just the basics to help introduce people into programming for this API in general using the methods at hand; the API itself is really fluid and so far your other videos have been most helpful, but I’m new to this IDE and Gradle in general.

1 Like

Same here. It seems harder to setup an environment in Sponge than in Forge cause of all the errors.

3 Likes

@gabizou - I’ve moved this to Plugin->Resources. Given that we now have a forum specifically for tutorials related to developing for Sponge, I think this is a better fit.

Nothing for Eclipse… as if the tutorial in “creating a plugin” wasn’t hard enough already.

1 Like

The eclipse tutorials will be handled by other people, such as @mumfrey or at a later time when I actually have free time to make more tutorials. I haven’t had enough time since the latest tutorials have been made to actually sit down and make some tutorials.

3 Likes

I’m curious of these videos still up-to-date? For some reason I’m not getting dirty artifacts when following the 1st video.

Considering that they’re 4 months old, no.

I will get around to remaking the videos sometime this week or so. Including a video on how to implement a piece of Data.

4 Likes

Looking forward to it! What do you mean by “implement piece of data”?

Working on our Data Implementation Checklist and implementing a DataManipulator and its corresponding DataProcessors

1 Like

It looks like Data Implementation is close to being wrapped up. The hopefully the guide will be updated soon :wink:

I don’t suppose Eclipse versions of these tutorials were ever made, correct?