If you can code plugins then this might interest you

: Now that I have your attention,

Hi,

My name is Ian. Recently I have been doing some research regarding the Civ genre of Minecraft and since the CivCraft server shutdown, multiple smaller servers have been popping up. However, I have yet to see a modded Civ server that has been properly done, and that is what I have been trying to achieve.

For those who do not know what the Civ genre of Minecraft. here is a brief rundown I found on Reddit.

==== Minecraft Civ Genre Summary ====

A world with no admins, no rules, where you have the power in your hands
But beware, your actions can have consequences

== Trade/Business
Realistic Biomes - resources more restricted to certain biomes, increases need for trade/land/allies
Factory Mod - increase ability to mass produce more efficiently

== Police/Law/Spying
PrisonPearl - imprison/lock up enemies
JukeAlert - view logs of who entered the territory and broke blocks/chests

== Defense/Protection
Citadel - reinforce blocks so they take longer to break
Bastions - stop other players from building in your lands

== Group Management
NameLayer - add players to groups, set who has access to what

== Prevent Hacking
HiddenOre, Alternate Account Monitoring

It is a very different take on survival Minecraft and after looking at some Vanilla servers I am impressed with what a community of people can achieve on a game that is seemingly for 3±year-olds things like economy, politics and war obviously on a scaled down level however it is still very interesting to see how this would work and also how the dynamic of the server would be like.
What I aim to achieve with this server is to see for myself what a community of “Civ-ers” would do on a server with a bit more content and increased difficulty and also see if this community/genre grows anymore than it already has. If you are interested in this type of project read on.
After speaking to some “Civ-ers” I found that there were certain plugins that are imperative to the functioning of this type of server. The big 3 were Exile / Prison Pearl, Citadel and JukeBox much to my disappointment these plugins were not updated for 1.12.2 Sponge so, I decided to learn Java. A few hours later of going through videos I realized that it would be unfeasible to learn Java which is completely different to Lua (the language I know) and then learn the library for Java and Sponge so that I could get my way around. Currently, I have a small group of testers testing the modpack so that I can find and fix any balancing issues, missing textures, bugs etc.

If you are interested, drop me a message on discord Light#2100 or reply to this Topic.

Many thanks,

• Ian

I mean, if you know Lua rather well it’s not too much of a stretch to learn Java, and then understand it enough to start using Sponge. I’d suggest learning Java anyway, as it’s a much more real-world language than Lua.

4 Likes