Impending death? of Java Minecraft

No no, everyone loves Lua.

2 Likes

This is kinda the issue… Was chatting with a gathering of public school teachers, and sooooooo many teens/kids are getting their Java Edition pirated. Besides, it doesn’t make sense to sell a game using the pay-once business model.

Imagine if razor blade companies did that! They’d never survive.

It’s the same for games that are multiplayer AND thrive on network effects. It makes sense from a community management perspective for Microsoft to enforce feature parity like with Windows 10 so that mods and other future add-on purchase content can work across the entire community.

Lol no, pay once games make and have made sense for the game industry. It doesnt really matter if so many kids pirate the game either. There are plenty of kids who actually buy the game.

Yeah, and in my experience pirates are found out relatively quickly. The only ones who don’t, use the swap-out methods, and don’t get the ability to save their progress on any servers.

Plus, pirates cant really even connect to game servers, so why’s the point.

Well, depends on the pirating method. If you bought a stolen account for a pittance, or if you use a swap-out method, you’re still playing with a legit account while remaining a pirate.

Isn’t it based on C#?
I’m pretty sure it’s C#

The JSON system is just for Add-ons, it’s not the Plugin API.
The Plugin API is in C#

You may be confusing the Plugin API with how MCPE mods are currently being hacked into the game right now using Lua scripts.

If it stays in C# ill have little to no issue with it.

No, I just know that the future of most ‘modding’ APIs is Lua. For example, Tabletop Simulator or The Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

And I do have some beef with the C# modding, though. C# is a wonderful language, but it won’t accurately represent the game’s internal state. As I understand it, all “New Minecraft” games are written in C++, so the C# API will be whatever Mojang defines it to be, with no option for modifying the internal state other than platform-specific super-hacks (e.g. DLL injection on Windows).

Also, IntelliJ IDEA is free, but ReSharper and Rider cost money. :cry:

2 Likes

It’s just dumb that it’s not in the same language as the actual game allegedly is in.

Well, C++ naturally isn’t a very good language for modding/adding features anyway.

It’s better off to have a another language so that changes can be made without the need to recompile.
Having a another language for feature implementation is good for abstraction. Especially since Minecraft runs across many platforms, an abstraction layer is needed to maintain portability for new features and mods, no matter how the backend/engine is implemented.

These other languages are interpreted/JITed by the engine in real time so that recompilation of the whole game isn’t necessary.
Theoretically C++ could fill this purpose, using custom interpreters or JITers, but in that case, C# should be used instead because it’s a more friendly language.
Lua is the most common because it’s (supposedly) the easiest to implement.

I dunno. You don’t see me begging to write C++. But maybe they should leverage Mono and Xamarin so the entire game can be written in C# though. Regardless of which one, though, Minecraft modding should definitely be done primarily in a managed language. Imagine all the people who try to write Sponge plugins without knowing Java yet, and then imagine them trying to do it in an unmanaged language so instead of throwing an NPE/CCE, they bluescreen their computer.

Edit: actually, keeping it in C++ keeps the game fast. And it’s not like C++ and C# are incompatible, when you consider that you can totally pass structs and COM objects back and forth, and use native functions from C# without glue. But Minecraft is classically known (even if it’s gotten better) as a great example of how to write Java without caring about performance. Keeping the code native makes sure modding has a future, so potato computers will be able to run good modpacks without going down to 10fps.

1 Like

Never… We have mods!

Mods won’t keep the Java version alive, as discussed here: modded minecraft is dying already.
I don’t think they would kill the Java version if they had to, maybe just put less work into it, or more work into realms instead of the normal game. I think they’re still trying to keep it alive by improving the server side of things with server packs as servers are pretty much the only thing keeping MC alive at the moment.
I think Microsoft bought Minecraft as more of a prototype to show that their frameworks can work on all systems(iOS, Android, & Windows), which is why there are so many versions of it, and that most of those versions can play together.

I’m just curious why I got emailed about this post…

1 Like

If you have a student ID of some sort, JetBrains can give you a student license which gets you all their IDEs for free.

1 Like

I dont understand. Wouldn’t this be awesome? A final java version for modders to mod on and not have constant updates causing mod rewrites. We DO NOT need mojangs crappy “features” generally based on older mods or just like some old mod but a little different…
So this cannot happen soon enough for me, everytine I get a server and me and the modders get the bugs and interactions worked out, theres a new version and now even though some new bug is discovered, they dont want to fix it cause its old and they are busy satisfying the kids saying “what no 1.12 yet ppppplllleeaaesee” or whatever else badly spelled and multiple lettered nonsense posts those poor guys get harrased with.

What is the “death” anyhow? No more updates? Sweet, we can get deep with the mods. Maybe we just need to think, “its finished” and now its a real modders playground. Or you mean death like we can non longer access it to play with, cause as far as I know, I bought it and they need to let me play it forever or its theft.

So I am honestly asking, because I MUST be missing something if the “death” is bad. Cause its all good to me. We worried about player base? You honestly think they would stop selling copies? No, death means they stop developing it FINALLY and we can all get on the same version .

The “death” would be bad because the playerbase would shrink.

I like updates. They move the game forward. Updates inspire mods as much as mods inspire updates, and it often cleans up the backend nicely each time, the same way Sponge breaks major versions in order to maintain a nice API.

Also:

When you bought the game, or started any server, you agreed that you had read a lengthy document which says different. You bought a license to play the game, which Mojang can revoke at any time for any reason. You don’t directly own, or even have guaranteed pretend ownership of, anything about the game.