Plasma - My attempt at Essentials/Nucleus

I recently created a plugin called Plasma. It’s extremely WIP, but I just recently started working on it. It is a plugin similar to Nucleus/Essentials, it will probably not support loading multiple worlds, like Nucleus does.
NOTE: uses SpongeVanilla API 7
I’m a new user, so I can’t put more than 2 links in a post right now. Link to the some more info: https://github.com/ThePuzzlemaker/Plasma/blob/master/README.md

I don’t mean to sound rude but, why would you make a copy of something that already exists? Surely you’d be better filling the gaps. As Sponge is so new and has few developers for plugins, we could really use more people doing requests or helping the current teams (i.e. The Nucleus team).

Just my 2 cents.

• Alice

similar to

6 Likes

I didn’t want to make a clone of Nucleus, or get any hate on doing such, I just wanted a fun little project to challenge my abilities.

It’s an admirable aim, and one not to be ashamed of. Developing something like “Essentials” is a great way to wrap your head around the SpongeAPI, and see what is possible - and how. BTW it’s fabulous to hear Nucleus get a mention as a reference - dualspiral will be thrilled that it’s set a new standard. Anyway, what is “Essential” is very much in the mind of the user (or developer) - there are a myriad of things that could take priority.

Don’t take any criticism you might get as “hate”, it’s more a case of many saying “I’ve seen this before”. Which may not be the case at all, depending on the priorities you choose, the paradigms you employ, and the use-cases you embrace. Good luck with the project, and may it spur you on to ever greater things.

3 Likes

I’m honestly just thrilled that people are developing for Sponge, and I honestly applaud the effort. There is nothing wrong with offering choice and a different way of thinking, and in no way am I upset - people developing for sponge, no matter whether it’s been done before is a good thing!

If you ever decide that you want to contribute to Nucleus with what you learn, I’m all ears and always appreciate the help! But, I also look forward to seeing a different spin on the Essentials like plugin - I wish you all the best of luck with it. Who knows, maybe we’ll get ideas from each other?

Welcome to the Sponge ecosystem. We’re all glad you’re here.

2 Likes

Sorry if what I said did come across as hate, it was not my intention. As a Server owner who can not code (trust me, I do try), and struggle to find developers who are willing to make plugins for the Sponge community (I can not afford to be paying out so much money for plugins, my community is small and non-profit), it gets frustrating to see developers who are creating plugins which already exist over making plugins which the community needs.

Again, I apologise if what I said seemed hateful, I was just frustrated and took it out on you. I apologise.

• Alice Sellars
    DragonTechMC
1 Like

I made an attempt with UltimateCore.
It just costs so much of your time, you are better off just helping Nucleus
But if you have a lot of time, go on and try