Project Borders

It does not start where it left off. When running the generator it still has to check the chunks to see if they are already generated. If they are those chunks are skipped. There is nowhere to tell where that task left off once it’s stopped so it still needs iterate over all the chunks in the border, however it won’t take quite as long due to skipping already generated chunks.

2 Likes

Can you have also kick back some status updates to the server while it’s working, like “X chunks generated…” or something to show is working and what it’s done. Running it from console you sit forever wondering how much is done with no way of knowing.

Also does it generate only vanilla stuff or does it also use mods when generating. Like adding pixelmon items or biomes from biomes o plenty

I have no control over the task once it’s started. I can only start and stop it. The most I could do is send a message stating that it’s still running, but can’t show any sort of progress.

As far as I know it should generate chunks the same way when players walk in unexplored chunks, therefore it should generate everything that’s registered with that world.

Yeah some kind of visual to let the console know it’s still working, maybe a lag warning or something. Better than nothing and leaving the server in wonder

It’s a good idea, but it needs to be added to the API as a callback or event or something.

1 Like

It can’t be set to do a server broadcast message every so many ticks while running? Then one saying done? Seems simple enough. Similar to how you get a broadcast message when the server is saving or when dynmap is rendering, etc

The most I can do it have it send a simple message with no details such as “generator still running”. I already have it send a message when complete. At least I think. I’ll have to check my src.

Yeah it says one when starting, but it can be running for hours upon hours. A simple msg like that warns people it’s still running and to expect lag would cut down on the server chat. Players whining about lag spikes etc

Honestly I don’t recommend running this when there are a bunch of players on in the first place. Really this should be something done during maintenance or initial server setup. However I’ll see about adding periodic warning messages.

1 Like

If the server is lagging, there are some settings on the API that ProjectWorlds could maybe use to cut down the amount of time that the server will spend generating.

ChunkPreGenerate tickPercentLimit(float tickPercent);

@TrenTech What do you think about using a custom logger given to the ChunkPreGenerate that can output progress to chat or something?

Yeah i started mine last night at like 2am, over 12 hours later is still running lol. If i had known it could take a while day to work I’d have white listed the server to keep it empty.

Another suggestion is putting some average or ball park times it takes to gen a certain size world so people know what to expect before running it. My world has a 15000 block border on it and it’s been over 12 hours so far and still going as we speak. Never imagined it would take this long fire a small world. Just a suggestion, i know times vary so the periodic warning message seemed easier

That’s not a small world for what it’s worth, I did mine locally on my own machine (admittedly some time ago) and would expect 1-3 days for a world of that size.

I’ve thought about this actually, I just don’t exactly know how to do it. More than welcome to submit a pr if you have a solution. I’m all for extra help.

I have no way of telling how long it’s going to take. Any estimate I attempt to calculate with just end up being misleading information.

Yeah i figured that, so the warning message would be the work around for cases like mine where i didn’t lock the server first and people pop in every few hours to see if it’s done.

Really that’s not small? Most forum post i saw called it average. The default for the plug-in is 60 million lol i cringe at the right of since poor soul trying to gen a world at default size lol

average for a non-pregen’d world maybe. But consider that you need to have backups, and probably several days worth and it adds up fast.

Also, I did the math the other day, A pre-genned default world size ended up taking something up 0.7ExaBytes? I’m probably getting the numbers slightly off, but my friends were joking about recreating Mr Bones Wild Ride and offering downloads in minecraft.

That would take weeks and hundreds of gigabytes of storage space.

For a ballpark figure, I’d say you are looking at 50GB worth of world already.

Doesn’t it already tell you the percentage of completion? Plus, you can always setup your own broadcasts and let people know the generation is going on. As a general rule, if you want it done fast, then you wouldn’t restrict the generation by flags and you let the server run on its own, without any players. On my end, despite obvious performance issues, this plugin is like water to parched throat (not kidding here, I really could not find anything for API5 that would generate the chunks).

Onto the kids asking what is the meaning behind the size’s annotation, if they made it here, then they can make over to google’s search bar and answer the question themselves.