Setup an official wiki now! (Now in progress)

I should probably make this point before people take it out of context or misunderstand me:

When I say I was trying to get someone else to do it, I am referring to one of the Sponge staff members who has access to the Sponge network resources. We don’t want someone to make an external wiki and then transfer it to us, while it runs on some separate box. We have the resources, multiple machines, and everything we need. Just need someone with access to the box to take the time to install a wiki software, preferably MediaWiki, or something with comparable features.

This means that only someone in our SysAdmin Staff can do this. We appreciate the offers for help, but anyone setting up a wiki is wasting their time.

5 Likes

The Discourse wiki system is probably the way to go for any forum-specific how-tos if such things are needed (like “How does text formatting work?”, “How to use smilies?” etc.). There could be a separated category, probably a sub-category of Meta, to hold such topics and new users could be linked there easily. And if a certain posts needs to be expanded, users could do so.

I suppose the external wiki holds most of the project documentation for server admins and developers, so having forum-specific stuff in there too feels overly complicated. Using Discourse for any Discourse specific topics, however, feels much cleaner for me.

Thanks for the clarification. I would then recommend MediaWiki, like you stated. Although it may look bulky on the initial installation, it can actually be customized and look very nice in the end.

2 Likes

Really looking forward to this :slight_smile:

You obviously don’t want me to set up a wiki. (In reply to @DarkArcana)

Topic reply begins here:
This kinda seems a bit ehh… demanding. But I gotta say its a great idea. Would be alot easier to have a wiki than all these ‘messy’ posts. How about using the Wiki feature in Discourse or just simply setup a Wikia.

I do think this would be a great idea at the first baby steps of Sponge! It will ensure a strong community, and will continue to do so throughout it’s rising. It would also offer a place for new comers to learn how to use it, or just to chat to some of the more experienced people in this topic. A Very Great Idea!

1 Like

I’m trying, I’m trying. Been poking people to do this. It’s like poking a brick wall with a limp noodle.

6 Likes

I only like the joke itive part of that comment.

2 Likes

Maybe a non-limp noodle?

Agreed, or @sk89q do it your self, Someone just needs to do it.

Expressing similar sentiments, but in verse:

3 Likes

I’m not on the sysadmin team. The fewer people who have box access, the better from a security standpoint. It’s not a good idea to just hand out access to people. And it’s not a question of reviewing the people who do have access and making someone do it, it’s a question of getting the people who have an understanding of the system to find a place for the wiki. So far as I know, SK hasn’t been involved with many sysadmin tasks. @lukegb and @armed_troop have been doing most of it. Either it should fall to one of them to set up a wiki or they should outsource the work to someone else on the team.

I understand the sentiment to want to bug SK for everything since he’s a well known name and he’s in charge of the project. But it’s too much work on one shoulder :slight_smile: . That’s why we set up separate teams to handle these different types of tasks. Make sure you get to the right people. I think there should be public docs about the staff? If not, I’ll see what I can do about it. We are planning on having a “who everyone is” section of the website when @Antariano finally finishes it.

2 Likes

And if anyone didn’t know, @lukegb was Bukkit’s sysadmin.

Much poking was done today in the staff channel. The sysadmins all know and everyone seems to be on the same page about Mediawiki. Some people don’t want to use it because of its bulkiness, but it’s generally agreed that it’s the best choice despite its bad features. So it might be moving along now :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t want to drop this on a front page, because it’s just not ready yet. But the wiki is not deployed, working, and ready for content. We need wiki contributors to add content and curate. These will need to be regular and dedicated people. I’m making this post here because people in this thread are most invested in a wiki or know people who would be interested in working with one. Please get ahold of me if you would like to dedicate time to the wiki or know anyone else who would. Thanks.

I don’t have a lot of time to contribute (I can contribute, I just don’t have the whole day :stuck_out_tongue: ) nor do I have the knowledge to add relevant information (if this wiki is to be based mainly on plugin coding and/or anything related).

What I can help with is translating (this is, if translations are an objective). I am Portuguese, so I can translate to Portuguese easily. I believe there are more people interested in translating so we’ll be able able to see several languages soon.

Should there be other non coding-related topics in the Wiki, I’d be glad to help and contribute!

1 Like

When we get closer to that point, I’ll make a post about looking for translators. Thanks!

1 Like

@DarkArcana I don’t know if it is a bug or not. But the Wiki accepts incoming request. Only you can’t post or anything yet. Looks good I have to say :smiley:. For those who would like to take a watch, here is your hint:

replace forums with wiki, gg.

I definitely would help with the wiki. Only ma spell is a bit worse … .

1 Like

@thomas15v Shhhhh you’re not supposed to know that :wink:

Well you don’t need be a rocket scientist to figure out where the wiki would (and will) be xD. Anyone that knows internet could have find it