Sponge Status Update - 30th June 2015 (Minecon Info Inside!)

Minecon Update

Only 4 days until Minecon! We’re very excited to meet members of the community and have a great time. While our panel application was not successful, we have a awesome booth dedicated entirely to Sponge, courtesy of our new Sponsor:

Multiplay!

We’ve been busy organising our Minecon Booth and the associated plans for the event. Mumfrey has created a render of our likely booth setup:

http://eq2.co.uk/sponge/booth/booth_rot.gif

Be prepared to meet our amazing Booth Team there, comprised of @gabizou, @gratimax, @lukegb, @Mumfrey, @Me4502, @Owexz, and @DDoS. Also keep an eye out for @khobbits of Essentials and LexManos of Forge, who may be hanging out with us.

We will be holding a special Live-streamed Sponge Showcase Event from our booth on the weekend, we will announce the time on twitter (hint: go follow us! @SpongePowered). We’ll let everyone know as soon as we see the event schedule.

You’ll be able to identify the Sponge Team by our shirts, which feature our brand new Sponge Logo!

We also have some cool swag to hand out to those who visit our booth, however supplies are limited, so we will try to ensure that we have stock available on both days. Sponge Swag includes:

• SpongePowered Pens (These just came in yesterday!)

• SpongePowered Mouse Pads

• SpongePowered Mugs

• Infinite SpongePowered Hugs (available on request, however don’t ask @Mumfrey for a hug unless you like being stared at with cold loathing)

Sponge Logo Update

As shown on the shirt above, there is a new Logo for the Sponge Project at last! This new Logo is the work of gratimax and Kornagan, and has been roundly endorsed by our staff. We hope you love it as much as we do, and be assured the cheery face of Spongie will be seen in many places soon.

API Update

Major API changes to major APIs are coming to fruition and some are already on their way to being merged, such as Data API’s enhancements with Values and @Deamon’s Populators! Overall, this brings the API to a more feature complete version and we strive to keep up with the dynamic changes in Minecraft itself. New API additions are still being desired! Do you think that we should represent some common interaction that we don’t have an API for yet? Request it! We’re always looking to get as much capability into the API as possible because the more we have in the API, the less we rely on previously known “NMS plugins”. This leads to a more stable plugin ecosystem.

Implementation Update

Multi-World changes are finally in! Both Sponge and SpongeVanilla now support multi-world API out of the box! Note that limited bug testing has been performed, so be aware there may be the occasional bug cropping up from various uses. Please report any issues or odd interactions you find to the appropriate repository and we’ll get them fixed ASAP.

Web Update

Work on Ore has been continuing apace, with a new staging instance up and running at https://ore-staging.spongepowered.org/

Docs Update

Always growing, and now featuring a glossary, SpongeDocs still has a backlog of API documentation waiting to be done. Tyrannokapi has sadly left the docs team (busy with real life), but there’s room for more volunteers, get in touch with @Inscrutable if you want to get involved. The “History of Sponge” document is almost ready, and a monster Pull Request explaining the Data API in detail is in the works. We will shortly have some new art assets to display and share, including the Spongie logo to be used at MineCon.

12 Likes

Is the swag available to buy after MINECON?

1 Like

Okay something forge has refused to do is make it so the id limits all Quadruple what they are now; if your team can do that one task and have as much modding support as forge I swear to God I would pay you $200.00 mod ID limit is killing my buzz.

I don’t understand. You’re saying the mod ID limit (character length?) should be quadruple what it currently is? What issues do you run into? As I myself never even knew there was a limit.

Yes currently I have a list of mods my pc can physically handle but because of minecrafts internal ID management system my dream of having the best server just flew out the window.

I got this after finding all the best mods.

Invalid id 9178 - maximum id range exceeded. I believe that the way the id system works if you could create a workaround and make all items etc have about 40000 each I think it would be a cold day in hell before anyone actually managed to reach that limit. Minecrafts normal limit is about 255 everything. Forges is about 9178 blocks , 255 Enchantemnts 9176 Entities, 255 Potions, 9178 Items also 9278 mobs.

Why they didn’t just make it 40000 for each category is beyond me.

and I thought that the Almura server had a lot of blocks/items.

Out of curiosity, what size is the texture map its creating when the client stats :O.

1 Like

Give me a second I will use a software called overview to find out.

Absolutely,

All your blocks and such have textures and their textures are sometimes in different files in their mods. Now sending potential 9178 textures to the GPU (for items alone) would make it cry…so Minecraft “stitches” them together onto one huge texture (think of it as a pattern quilt with each square a different color).

Most computers these days can stitch 8192x8192. Computers with great GPUs can stitch 16384x16384. I’d be real curious what your…modpack (?)…requires or specs.

1 Like

Okay so when a client loads in I have them load in with about 8 view distance, I use a mod called modcapper created by Thutmose privately release that prevents all forms of mob overcroweding because that is one thing that will make the gpu cry but others I would say the required specs for our server is no less than 3GB and a GPU that supporst 4.0 Shading and direct x 11.2, Dedicated 1GB of ram with a at least a 3.2 x4 core processor. I have a 6 core 3.8 so I don’t struggle with much. I don’t know though I couldn’t tell you honestly but I am also using the Sphax x64 everything texture packs.

Oh the merch! How would one obtain the swag without going to minecon? I will even pay real monies.

4 Likes

I don’t drive and I live too far away or I would totally come see you guys :frowning:

Will the mousepads be able to be purchasable/acquirable outside of Minecon? My mousepad is a Gateway2000 mousepad, I’m in desperate need of an upgrade.

3 Likes

I think the main question is & will be, will this swag be available outside of minecon? And if so where? Now no one else ask :wink:

3 Likes

I’m also coming, see you guys soon!

1 Like

I’ll be back from my holidays to return to the UK!
Two days after Minecon…

Shut up and take my money! :smiley:

lol someone made an account on the forums called SpongePowered. The actual link is @SpongePowered

1 Like

Fixed. It was actually me that wrote that bit and I didn’t take into account that it would convert to a forum mention when it was posted.

1 Like

A day and a half until Minecon! We’re all very excited to be running our booth there and have been hard at work preparing our gear (We’ll be down at Excel in 12 hours to set up!).

We’re also announcing that our Sponge Showcase Livestream will be broadcast from our Booth at Minecon at 4:30-5:30 PM British Time (3:30-4:30 PM UTC), more details to follow.

5 Likes