"There's a Java update available!"

Then they need to update. Not running JRE 8 on the SERVER is incredibly stupid.

3 Likes

And/or lazy. JRE 8 delivers significant performance enhancements regardless of the code dependency version itself.

1 Like

Just throwing this out there, but calling server owners lazy and stupid is pretty impolite and arrogant, it’s not our place to tell people how to run their services.

5 Likes

I’m with Mumfrey here. “Foolhardy” would be a better description, as running outdated JRE is a potential security risk. The fact that it will be incompatible with Sponge is just more leverage.

This message brought to you by the Sponge Diplomatic Corpse, may she stay well embalmed.

4 Likes

I agree. I was just throwing it out there. It’s always best to be careful when you update a dependency version.

2 Likes

Hehe that’s why @Inscrutable is in charge of the docs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sure, we can mince words all we like if it’ll make people feel better. Won’t change the inevitable response that people will get when they try and use Sponge on a Java version before 8 once we bump the version up.

1 Like

I have my servers running on old pcs that I have. They run debian 8, and in the main repositories, java 8 isn’t available. There are 2 ways then to get it, one being more hassle than the other.

1. (easier) add the channel specific backports repository to the sources.list.
  2. (hassle) download and install java from oracle. The guide in the original post almost never works.

Upgrading to java 8 on Linux machines, isn’t too easy. Always use the highest available java version in the repositories.

If you do wish to install the oracle version, search around for the correct method to install it, as there are more steps required.

There is a relatively easy way to install java 8 in Ubuntu/Debian. Look here:

http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=qgacKHT6

May i ask for a source of your pastebin?
(Thinking about maybe adding this to the docs)

Take a look here. You’ll also find the code there …

1 Like

And another Question:

• Does it matter if OpenJDK instead of Oracle Java is used? OpenJDK misses some optimizations, but are there other advantages on top of that?
  • Would you recommend running OpenJDK or Oracle? Oracle is closed source, any other reasons?

It doesn’t matter which version you use. However, I have tried both versions on Linux. The Oracle version was slow and produced some nasty lags, whereas OpenJDK 8 has been a lot faster & smoother. So, yes, I can recommend OpenJDK.

And, as for Windows, I haven’t used it for ages, so I wouldn’t know …

On Linux, I’d recommend OpenJDK since it’s open source. On Windows/Mac, I’d recommend Oracle because it’s already packaged up for you.

Confucius say: he who’s got Windows can’t see the wood for the trees … :laughing:

1 Like
1 Like

Hmm… Yes that is good for Ubuntu, that I agree with. However, using Ubuntu packages on a Debian system can have adverse reactions.

For Debian, the best plan of action is to add this line to the /etc/apt/sources.list:

UK ftp repository

deb Index of /debian/ jessie-backports main non-free contrib

US ftp repository

deb Index of /debian/ jessie-backports main non-free contrib

For other countries, you should only need replace ‘us’ or ‘uk’ with your 2 character country code.

After they’ve been added, the package list needs to be updated using [sudo] apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless for server installations. Install openjdk-8-jdk for development.

Backport packages are installed at the user’s choice. These packages offer extra features that would otherwise be kept out of the main and update channels.

P.S - For Centos 6 & 7, and RedHat based systems, openjdk 8 is available by default all that is needed is:
[sudo] yum install java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless (for servers)
[sudo] yum install java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel (for development)

1 Like

Part of the reason for this is that some hosting companies (those who only offer game servers) aren’t updating. For instance, my host is still on 7, and there’s nothing I can do about that outside of nagging support (which probably won’t do anything). However, hopefully, Sponge targeting 52.0 will help mend this.

What’s the status on this?

You can checkout the branch. I don’t believe there’s a PR yet.