How does Minecraft bedrock engine affect sponge?

I’ve been away from the minecraft for many months. I was curious to know to what people knew about the minecraft bedrock engine. It sounds like it’s programmed in C++. Obviously making it incompatible with the tools and mods that we use today.

It doesn’t really, but the truth of the matter is that we don’t know yet. The minecraft server protocol could potentially change, and if it does it won’t render Sponge completely useless, a new implementation of the Sponge API will just be required. However, this is assuming they write the new server protocol in Java, if not then a whole rewrite of the minecraft server would have to take place, implementing the new protocol instead of the old, and I doubt Mojang would even consider doing that, so it would probably fallback to the community to create one, if a community still exists.

If that makes sense? It’s late and questioning whether or not I explained that clearly.

1 Like

The server protocol is language-agnostic. It’s just a bunch of bytes. There’s Minecraft servers in PHP, C#, Rust, C++, and others.