Rest In Piece - Pixelmon

I’m sure you all know by now that Pokemon Company has ordered a Cease & Desist against Pixelmon.

I’m hoping this will not drive many public servers out of business, as Pixelmon was a big mod for the Sponge community, and its a shame to see it go.

Good luck to everyone this affects and I hope you come out on the other side with whatever the next big mod is.

3 Likes

A video by Phoenix SC about this topic: Pixelmon is Ending // Issues & General Thoughts - YouTube

I, myself, am wondering too why this has to be done now. Pixelmon existed for years(2012) and Nintendo was very well aware of this mod.

1 Like

I think it probably has to do with them coming out of Beta on the 3rd of this month… Maybe there was something protecting them as long as they were in it.

1 Like

I doubt that was the case. Beta is simply a status of stability and feature completion for the intended feature set.

1 Like

That’s more of my opinion based on the events… One of the posts scoured around the internet also mentions it was expected following the announcement for Pokemon to go to Switch.

Pokémon mod for Minecraft: Together anybody?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Pokecube is still alive, it has also been around since 2011, and hasnt got a C&D yet. Noone seemed particularly interested in it before though.

I bet when everyone moves over to it, there will be a C&D… its Nintendo, they shut down anything gaining any popularity that is loosely based on one of they properties.

they might send one eventually, it will be much harder to do though, as everything pokemon-specific can be added via resource packs, the actual code isn’t really related to pokemon, and all of the stats/moves/etc are also external to the mod.

I don’t really think they can, well, legally C&D servers running the mod. Running a server version of the mod isn’t redistributing the mod. Plus, the server doesn’t actually, you know, have infringing assets. All they have is some internal code that references Pokémon names.

Incorrect. Refer to the Fair Use agreement to the Minecraft Eula - Mojang Studios Account

Additionally, not that assets isn’t the issue - all Pixelmon code, models, resources, and everything else was done custom. The stuff that’s just “some internal code that references Pokémon names” is the same stuff that violates copyrights and led to the C&D in the first place.

Mojang was copied on the C&D and is well aware of Pixelmon’s status as being illegal. If they choose to act upon it, server can legally be closed or blacklisted.

However, I for one do not forsee that as a likely possibility. I know that while many servers have cloesed, many more have remain open. In some ways, this has actually brought together the community - what happens next is yet to be know.

1 Like

Mmk, we’ll see what ends up happening with the servers

1 Like